Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Beginning of Colorwork

I feel a bit conflicted having already gotten to the colorwork section of my bodice, since the KAL doesn't technically start for 6 more days. But, the pattern was calling to me, and I have had my yarn for weeks and was anxious to start on what will be my first real fair isle project. I also figured that by starting early, I will probably wind up being on pace with those of you who are more experienced and therefore faster with the colorwork.

Below you can see some of the progress I've made with the first part of the fair isle pattern. This is actually my second attempt, as I got to about row 11 and decided that the stitches were far too uneven and that I had used the wrong M1 increase to transition from ribbing to fair isle and couldn't live with the way the increases stuck out. Better to redo 12 rows than spend all that time and money on something I already knew I probably wouldn't wear as-is, right?

So, anyway, here is the picture. I don't think it's so bad considering how new I am to fair isle. The stitches are still a little bunched up in the shot, because that ribbing and the fact that it is still on the needles meant that the pattern didn't quite want to lie flat for my photo, as I didn't pin it.




7 comments:

Melissa said...

Ooh, it looks fabulous!!! Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

It does look really good! Nice job!

Knittymuggins said...

Looks fantastic! Great work! I'm fairly new to colorwork too, so if mine looks half as good as yours when I work it up, I'll be happy :) Thanks for sharing!

miss elizabeth said...

It really looks fantastic. I'm so jealous; I have about an inch and a half of ribbing on mine. (I'm hoping to post pictures tonight)

What m1 did you use that you didn't like? Please post, so we can all avoid it!

Jennifer said...

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!

As for the M1, I forgot to look and see which M1 the pattern referred to in the glossary in the back of the magazine. I had just done a previous project that had raised increases, so I think I did a bunch of Right Raised Increases. After realizing the mistake, I hoped it might blend in with the ribbing, but when I got far enough in the colorwork, the raised stitches were pretty obvious when I stretched it out.

So, my advice is to follow the recommended increase and just do a normal M1 (knitting the bar below) as shown in the stitch glossary! :)

Mary Jane said...

It is beautiful. All wrinkles and bunchiness comes out in the wash anyway, so don't fret

Anonymous said...

Hello!!! mirepoixbodicekal.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent informational websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. Keep it that way.